Sunday, October 25, 2009

Casein-Free, Grain-Free Drop Biscuits


Another recipe from my other blog....

I'm still experimenting with coconut and almond flours, attempting to replace all of the other gluten-free flours that I've become accustomed to using. Here is a very nice drop biscuit recipe I came up with (casein-free cousin to the garlic cheese biscuits) which uses both almond and coconut flours, as well as a bit of flax meal; my husband says they taste very much like Bisquick biscuits, only better.

I like the flavor and the texture of the almond-coconut flour combo.....I will continue to experiment! :)

Ingredients: (updated 11/22/09 and again on 11/26/09)

4 eggs
1/4 C coconut oil, melted
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 C coconut flour
1/4 C almond flour**
1 1/2 T flax meal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1-2 T agave syrup (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and coconut oil (and agave if using) thoroughly. Combine the salt, coconut and almond flours, flax meal and baking powder in a separate bowl, then stir into the egg-oil mixture, blending well.

Drop by spoonfuls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for approximately 16-20 minutes (start checking them at about 16 minutes), until beginning to develop golden-brown spots on tops. Makes 8 biscuits.

**Note: I am following Elana Amsterdam's suggestion and using ONLY finely ground blanched almond flour. Some almond flours on the market simply are not fine enough to give a good texture to baked goods. For example, Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour just doesn't work. The flour that I'm currently using is Honeyville's Blanched Almond Flour.

2 comments:

  1. I just made this recipe and I love it! It is by far the best of all the grain free biscuit/bread recipes i've tried. I love mixing the almond flour with coconut flour. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my recipe for chicken and dumplings I did not have the fine almond flour but substituted a gluten free flour mix instead, did not have the flax meal either and these came out wonderful! I dropped the dough by heaping teaspoonful in my boiling chicken soup, put the lid on the pot, turned the heat down to simmer for 20 minutes. AMAZING GLUTEN FREE DUMPLINGS!

    ReplyDelete