Monday, February 16, 2009

Gluten Free Low Carb Cheese Muffins

From the book, "Cooking with Coconut Flour" by Bruce Fife, N.D.

Ingredients

3 eggs
2 T butter or coconut oil, melted
3 T coconut milk (I've used heavy cream when I didn't have coconut milk)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder (I used more like 1/4 tsp)
1/4 tsp onion powder (I used a tablespoon of dried onion flakes instead)
1/4 C sifted coconut flour
1 C sharp cheddar cheese, grated (I used a bit more than that)

Directions

Blend together the eggs, butter or oil, coconut milk and seasonings in a medium bowl, then add the coconut flour and mix until there are no lumps. Fold in 3/4 of the grated cheese, and distribute the batter amongst 6 well-greased muffin cups. Top the muffins with the remaining cheese and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

These muffins may even be legal on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, since I know that both coconut flour and coconut milk are legal, and these particular muffins do not use sugar or baking powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment