Monday, January 18, 2010

Grain free, dairy free, pliable flatbread!!

I first published this recipe and the previous one on my other blog; sorry it took so long to get them over here to the archive!

Another recipe we've become fond of recently is a very tasty grain free flatbread originally posted by Liz (aka "lonewolf") in one of the forums on celiac.com.


Grain-Free Flatbread


Ingredients:

4 egg whites
2 - 4 egg yolks (note: original recipe calls for 2 yolks, but 4 works too)
1 tsp melted butter (or coconut oil for dairy-free/casein-free version)
1 tsp agave nectar or honey
1/2 C almond flour
dash salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Separate egg whites and yolks....


Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.


Beat yolks with melted butter or coconut oil, dash of salt, and agave or honey.


Sprinkle the almond flour over the egg whites and fold in gently along with egg yolk mixture.


Spread the batter onto the parchment paper into a 12" by 12" square (if using 2 yolks only) or a 12" by 14" rectangle (if using 4 yolks). Make sure the thickness is uniform over the square (or rectangle). Bake at 350 for 12 minutes; it should be turning golden brown on top when done.


This bread is so versatile! You can simply cut it into squares and use them for regular sandwiches, or into the right-sized rectangles to be wrapped around hot dogs as a bun-replacement. You can even take an entire sheet of bread and cover it with Dijon mustard, ham slices and Swiss cheese, roll it like a jelly roll, microwave it until the cheese starts to melt, slice and serve.


OK....it's not as flexible as wheat-based bread, so it does tend to crack a bit when you're rolling it up, but it's still AMAZING bread when you consider that it's entirely grain free!

18 comments:

  1. I'm making this bread now and my batter is way too liquidy. any idea? I used 4 yolks

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous: Sorry you're having problems! It sounds as though you may not have been gentle enough when combining the liquids with the beaten egg whites. Folding other ingredients into egg whites that have been beaten until peaks form is sort of an art that only develops with practice. I hope that you try it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tried it, WORKED GREAT. I used brown rice flour, added an extra 1/4 c. of flour. I ALSO added flaxseed meal! Add texture, visual and taste wise---delicious! GReat recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Margaret! I'm glad it worked so well for you with brown rice flour. I use the almond flour because I am (mostly) grain free these days. Adding flaxmeal is a great idea for making the bread more nutritious and higher in fiber too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quick question, so it's basically more like an omelet type of taste, right? I made it for my mom and she loved it. My dad is likely to make it for her more often and will be trying varying quantities of almond flour to see the difference. He's using fine grind almond flour, not just almond meal. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nayanna, it doesn't taste omelettey to me, but my husband seems to think it's a bit "eggy". I think it depends on the number of yolks you include. I'm glad it works for you and your parents! I use finely ground almond flour from Honeyville.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really great! Thanks so much for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I use regular flour with this recipe? Do I need to alter the quantities of the other ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous, you might try the proportions used by Margaret, above (she used brown rice flour). Of course, the point of this was NOT to use regular flour, LOL! But if you must, you must! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you happen to have the nutrition facts on this????
    Calories, Carbs, Sugars, Protein?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany, no, I've never bothered to calculate... maybe you could hunt these numbers down yourself for each ingredient and do the arithmetic.....? :D

      I will mention that it is low carb, and could be even lower if you sub stevia for the agave.

      Delete
  11. Isn't butter dairy?

    ReplyDelete
  12. YEP! Thanks Anonymous, for catching the fact that I failed to mention that if you want it dairy free, you should use coconut oil! I will make that change now...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the recipe! Learned my daughter had corn, diary and grain allergies and panicked! I came across this recipe 4 days ago and have made it 5 times already:) I put cinnamon in it yesterday and it smelled so yummy. I made chocolate "pancakes" this morning with the recipe by adding cocoa. We loaded them with strawberries and a little maple syrup and they were awesome- Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...this was amazing. Instead of almond flour, I used a gluten free flour mix that I like. And I used 1/4 cup more like the one poster wrote. The batter was similar to a cake batter thickness. But it turned out wonderfully. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your variation, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your recipe.
    Why should the egg whites and yolks be added separately?

    ReplyDelete